We kickstarted our gratitude week with our first ever Thank You Tea for the NHS. It was such a special event with brilliant student performances and their fantastic hospitality. Thank you to all those who attended and to all in our community who work in the NHS, we send our sincere thanks.
Congratulations to students who play for Stoke Newington Football Club Under 17s, they claimed the league and cup double this football season. The league was hugely competitive but their phenomenal skill together with strong team work meant they were undefeated winning both competitions. Well done boys!
Important Covid-19 Update
This week we conducted lateral flow testing for all students with parental consent. I would like to thank the parent/carer volunteers who supported with this task.
As you know, the government guidance for September 2021 has now been released. The main highlights of the guidance are:
Year Group Bubbles
- It is no longer recommended that it is necessary to keep children in consistent groups/bubbles. This means that bubbles will not need be required for any summer provision or in schools from the autumn term.
- Assemblies can resume from the new academic year.
- School settings will no longer identify close contacts, this task will be taken on by NHS Test and Trace, seeking support from the School as currently happens when managing other infectious diseases.
- From 16th August 2021, children under the age of 18 years old will no longer be required to self-isolate if they are contacted by NHS Test and Trace as a close contact of a positive COVID-19 case. Instead, children will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace, informed they have been in close contact with a positive case and advised to take a PCR test. We would encourage all individuals to take a PCR test if advised to do so.
- Students are no longer required to wear face masks. If the school has an outbreak of Covid-19, a director of public health might advise that face coverings should temporarily be worn in communal areas or classrooms.
Testing Upon Return
- The School is required to test students twice via lateral flow test upon their return for the new academic year. The tests will be 3 to 5 days apart and to allow for this, we are permitted to stagger students’ return. We will notify you of our arrangements for the beginning of term in my letter next week.
Parent/Carers of Black, Asian and Majority Ethnic Students Forum – Wednesday 14th July 2021
We would like to invite parent/carers of Black, Asian and Majority Ethnic students to our first on-site ‘Meet and Greet’. This will take place from 5.30 – 7.00pm for parent/carers to drop in for some traditional snacks and meet our parent/carers who are part of the forum. We would welcome any new Year 7 parents to join and hear about the forum and the work the group has undertaken this academic year, along with finding connections within the parent attendees to offer support and guidance if required. Please see below a testimony from one of our forum members on their reasons for attending:
"I started to attend the BAME Parents Forum from the inset as I was intrigued. My relationship with the school had been tricky and I was keen for change. I have really enjoyed the honest conversations, actions taken and now feeling like not only part of the school community, but that their commitment to Inclusion and Equity is forefront."
Last Day of Term – Wednesday 21st July
On Wednesday 21st July, Periods 1 and 2 will be normal lessons, Period 3 will be tutor time including a whole school assembly, thereafter:
Years 7 and 8
- 12.05pm – 12.40pm– Lunch
- 12.40pm - 12.50pm – Tutor afternoon registration and dismissal by tutor group
Years 9 and 10
- 12:15pm - Dismissal from the Albion Road exit. To ensure a smooth exit the dismissal will be staggered.
- If your child is entitled to Free School Meals and would like a packed lunch before leaving, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 12.00pm on Monday 19th July.
Summer School - Monday 26th July – Friday 6th August
Over the summer Stoke Newington School will be hosting a summer school provision for the first two full weeks of the summer holidays Monday 26th July – Friday 6th August. We intend to run Non-Examined Assessment (NEA) curriculum-based sessions for incoming Year 11 and Year 13 students in readiness for next year and a wide range of enrichment activities for our new Year 7 students. More information will follow shortly, we look forward to seeing your child there.
Year 10 Parent/Carer Forum – Tuesday 13th July 6.00 – 7.00pm
As Year 10 students move into their final GCSE year, we understand that many parent/carers and students will be anxious about the upcoming year, particularly as some young people will have needed to self-isolate.
We will be holding a parent/carer forum to share our plans for the next academic year and give parents an opportunity to ask questions. You can find a link to the meeting below.
Parent/Carer Forums and Key Dates
Please see below parent/carer Forums for this half term. These, along with other key dates, can also be found on the school website here.
Date and Link
Monday 12th July at 1.30pm - Click here to join the meeting
Tuesday 13th July at 6.00pm - Click here to join the meeting
I know many in our community will be both delighted and relieved that the England football team has made it to the finals of the European Cup on Sunday. It is great to witness such a diverse and united team representing themselves so well on and off the pitch. A great example to our young people. Our SNS community wish the England team all the very best for this weekend’s match!
With all good wishes,